Who'll Who'll Stop the Rain
back to title page        forward to the challenge
A Brief Intro… 

Hi, Prey Fans! I am going to ask you to keep some things in mind about this short story. 

First, it is being published as a work in process. 

Second, it was written in response to a challenge from George, a member of my writers' group, to the rest of us to collaborate on a short story. He supplied the title of the story and set it up - a terrible rain storm with wide-spread flooding, an imminent dam break, and a small coffee shop where people take refuge. 

Third, there are four (and a half) "voices" telling this story, and so, Prey is only one of the sub plots. (But if you do decide to read on, you'll see that George decided to join in the fun.). 

Fourth, I would ask you to keep in mind that I was "solving a different problem." The TV script writers' challenge was to create a successful, compelling, long-running TV series. My challenge was simply to come up with an innovative and fun contribution for our writing group's collaborative short story. In fact the requirements were almost opposite - the TV writers needed to keep all that good stuff coming. I needed to somehow cram all the richness of Prey into one section of a short story! Keep it short, but keep it "true." So it was tough in a different way. 
 

I should also tell you that… 
*the character names and other details have been altered somewhat* 
to fit in with the more "down home" setting and characters that George provided us in his story's set up. I think you'll recognise them when you come across them in our story, but as a hint, Chris Archer is Tom Daniels and Ray Bridgewaters is Sloan Parker. (If it helps any, you sci-fi types can try to think of my characters as "transplanted" Prey characters who exist in a "parallel universe.") 
Well... you've been appropriately warned. The Odds and Ends Writer's Group would like to thank the Prey Fan Club for allowing us an outlet for our writing. We'd also like to thank any of the curious who will take the time to read on... 

George's Challenge…

 
 Legal disclaimer: This page is not authorized or endorsed by The ABC Television Network, Warner Bros. Studios, Lars Thorwald, Inc., Edelson Productions, the cast, crew, writers or producers of Prey, or any of their affiliates, etc, etc. This is a fan-written page designed to appreciate "Prey" and provide a fan's-eye view of the show and is not intended to infringe on any trademark rights or copyrights. "Prey" and the characters' names and storylines, along with the above photo, are trademarked and/or copyrighted and therefore owned by one or more of the above-named parties.